Give the Gift of Vibrant Art!
Artist: Hyein Lee
From the entire STEPS team, we wish you a warm and joyous holiday season! We look forward to bringing even more vibrant and one-of-a-kind public art, community-led opportunities, and dynamic programming to your community in the new year.
Consider shopping small and supporting Canadian artists and local businesses this festive season. Explore our curated holiday gift guide featuring artists from the STEPS artist roster, including Hyein who captured many project highlights in our annual holiday e-card, such as Project Oui!, Safe Flight Home, Light Strainers and more!
Want to give the gift of public art? The Bulmash-Siegel Foundation is generously matching every charitable donation up to $5,000 made to STEPS from now until the end of 2021 to continue building the capacity of communities and artists. Double YOUR impact today!
Call for Public Arts in Residence!
Artist: Shelby Gagnon
Photo Credit: Damien Bouchard
STEPS is thrilled to announce the 2022 CreateSpace Public Art Residency, a national and virtual program supporting Black, Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit and Métis) and racialized artists in advancing their public art practice. Supported by the City of Toronto as part of ArtworxTO: Toronto’s Year of Public Art 2021–2022, TD Bank Group through the TD Ready Commitment and Canada Council for the Arts, applications are now OPEN with the residency slated to begin in Spring 2022.
Check out the 2021 CreateSpace Residency public art projects spanning five provinces, and apply to the program by Monday, January 31, 2022.
#MainStreetArtChallenge Award Winners!
Congratulations to the three Business Improvement Areas (BIAs) and six artists awarded for their I HeART Main Street public art projects that made an impact in their communities! The financial and in-kind support prizes presented in partnership with RBC Royal Bank will allow the BIAs and artists to scale future placemaking initiatives and bring more art to their streets as part of pandemic recovery strategies.
Meet the winning BIAs and artists and apply to the next round of I HeART Main Street to bring more public art across Ontario (spots are limited)!
Public Art Forum for Emerging Artists
Artist: Bruno Canadien
Photo Credit: Jeremy Pavka
Take part in the first ever CreateSpace Public Art Forum, a digital forum for 50 equity-seeking youth artists from across the nation who will build skills and relationships to expand their growing public art practices! English and French applications are available and the program is set to launch in January 2022.
Local Artists Take Over Brampton, Ontario!
In partnership with the City of Brampton’s Arts, Culture & Creative Industry Development Agency, new public artworks can be found throughout the downtown core! From the Beyond the Plate storefront exhibits to the Traffic Box Art Pilot Project that engaged five local artists in activating street corner utility boxes, these projects explore placemaking through local art that capture the spirit of Brampton.
Workshop Spots Limited for
Yue Moon 完滿: Tiger With Wings 如虎添翼
Join Paddy, Meegan and the Toronto Chinatown BIA in lantern art-making and cultural storytelling workshops! Your artwork will be part of the public exhibition animating the streets of Toronto’s Chinatown just in time for the 2022 Lunar New Year.
Outside of Toronto? Sign up for the virtual workshops with different language supports available to take part from anywhere you call home (this is an intergenerational project open to members of the Chinatown community and beyond)!
Supporting artists and arts workers, especially those who face barriers in accessing public art opportunities, is at the core of STEPS’ mandate. Below are some of the current opportunities on our radar.
- Artist Call, Summer Artwork, Waterfront Toronto (Ddln: Dec 10, 2021)
- Artist Call, &Now Residency and Scholarship (Ddln: Dec 10, 2021)
- Artist Call, Davisville Community Centre, Toronto (Ddln: Dec 13, 2021)
- Artist Call, ArtworxTO Legacy Artist in Residence (Ddln: Dec 13, 2021)
- Curator Call, Indigenous Art Trail, Mississauga (Ddln: Dec 14, 2021)
- Artist Call, Digital Platform Artwork, Mural Routes (Ddln: Dec 17, 2021)
- Artist Call, Western North York Community Centre (Ddln: Dec 20, 2021)
- Emerging Artist Award, Native Women in the Arts (Ddln: Dec 31, 2021)
- Malton Artist Call, Greenway Public Art (Ddln: January 10, 2022)
- Artist Call, Toronto Outdoor Art Fair (Ddln: Feb 28, 2022)
- Community Survey, Gateway Mural Project (Rolling Deadline)
- Call for Canadian Artists with Disabilities, AANM (Rolling Deadline)
- BIPOC Muralist Artist Call, Mississauga Arts Council (Rolling Deadline)
- Artist Call, Canadian Clay & Glass Gallery Registry (Rolling Deadline)
- Scarborough Artist Call, Scarbrite Features (Rolling Deadline)
- Niagara Artist Call, Downtown Bench Beamsville (Rolling Deadline)
- Emerging Artist Call, ArtworxTO, City of Toronto (Rolling Deadline)
- Artist Call: Community Public Art Project, Burlington (Rolling Deadline)
- Artist Call: Boxes/Banners, Mississauga Arts Council (Rolling Deadline)
- StreetARToronto Support Mural Program (Rolling Deadline)
Thanks to contributions from community members like you, STEPS has supported over 150 public art initiatives and made over $510,000 in direct payments to Canadian artists and designers since the start of the pandemic, including $350,000 in 2021 alone.
Consider making a donation to support this important work!
Special Thanks To Our Funders and Supporters